Sunday, May 22, 2016

Time Travel Music

I'm getting ready for my trip and one of the most important tasks, after packing my suitcase, is packing my ipod with music to listen to on the airplane.

This got me to thinking about music suitable for time travelling.

My tag line for my blog comes from Manchester songwriter Daley's Time Travel, an R&B song released in 2014. This song reminisces about a past time when the singer was happy with someone he loved and how he wants to go back.
All I really need
Is time travel and you
Don't know what this is
We're travelling through
All the memories
Unravel with you
So all I really need
Is time travel
And you...
 Another classic that comes to mind is Pink Floyd's Time. This sad song about time wasting away in useless endeavors shows the more negative side to time's passing with little to show for it. This is time travelling without noticing or wanting to do it.
Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the timePlans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled linesHanging on in quiet desperation is the English wayThe time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say.

Here is a new one by Ingrid Michaelson, an American singer and songwriter from Staten Island, New York who plays mainly indie pop or indie folk music. Time Machine is another heartbreak song about someone who would like to skip a bad relationship before it happened.
If I had a time machine
And if life was a movie scene
I'd rewind and I'd tell me
Run


And there is this song, one of my favourite's from Jim Croce. It isn't about time travelling but more about stopping time to preserve beautiful moments with a loved one.
But there never seems to be enough time

To do the things you want to do, once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go through time with





Here is a song about the past looked at in the future, Buzzcock's Nostalgia. Although the singer reminisces about the past, he looks at it backwards, looking forward to how he would see the past. An interesting 
About the future I only can reminisce
For what I've had is what I'll never get
And although this may sound strange
My future and my past are presently disarranged
And I'm surfing on a wave of nostalgia
For an age yet to come

And here we have Coldplay's Scientist. It's about going back in time to say the things we wish we had said. 
Nobody said it was easy

Oh, it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard
I'm going back to the start





No comments:

Post a Comment